#BlackHistoryEats / Day 08 / Rooibos
- Rooibos tea is made from the leaves of the "red bush" or Aspalathus linearis plant.
- Rooibos (or "red tea" , "red bush tea" or "South African tea") was first cultivated by the Khoisan people of the Cederberg region of South Africa over 300 years ago
- As recently as 2013, the South African Rooibos Council has fought against French efforts to trademark the name "Rooibos" for teas that are actually not Rooibos
HEALTH + USES /
- Rooibos is naturally caffeine-free and has a beautiful reddish hue with a soft, fruity flavor
- It's rich in antioxidants which is great for protecting cells from becoming cancerous
- Since it is caffeine-free, some folks who struggle with insomnia drink a cup before bed to provide relaxation and ease any tension
- Unlike most teas, Rooibos is lower can steep for a long period of time without it becoming too tart or bitter
- Here is a link to other delicious and creative beverages that can be made with Rooibos including a Rooibos ginger ale and a mixed spiced golden rum and Rooibos drink!
- Rooibos is often enjoyed hot or cold and sometimes with milk or lemon