Summer-y Lentil Salad
Who else doesn't want to turn on the oven a lot in the summer time? I know I don't!
Summer is for light, fresh, and vibrant food! But, that doesn't mean that summer-y foods can't be filling. For people who don't normally eat salads, their biggest complaint is that they don't feel satisfied. If you're one of these people, consider this recipe for you!
The key to having a satisfying summer salad is protein. During the summer, white beans (think garbanzo, black eyed peas, navy beans) and lentils are my go-to for a cold salad. This lentil salad is great as a side dish or on it's own. Add it to a bed of wilted greens or put it in your favorite sandwich wrap. Plus it's also rich in pro and prebiotics. Swap and switch out different ingredients to truly make it your own.
Many of us are remembering Nia Wilson right and so much other horror that is taking place around the country and the globe. I hope this recipe, and others that I'll be sharing with you will bring both nourishment + lightness to counteract the heaviness of existing as Black women in America.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes | COOK TIME: 5 minutes | SERVINGS: approximately 3-4
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils (or 1 16oz can)
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a handful of 2-3 herbs or greens, finely chopped (I used watercress, dill, and parsley)
- a squirt of agave
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- a pinch of paprika
- salt to taste
- Put olive oil, agave, garlic, apple cider vinegar, and seasonings in a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Chop and dice remaining vegetables. Add to bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 30-60 minutes before serving!